The Magazine Publishing Association (MPA) and senior magazine publishing executives have developed a common set of definitions, a consistent position on timing for data release, and guidelines on tablet advertising metrics. These voluntary guidelines are intended to clarify measurement of magazine media audiences on tablets for advertisers. The guidelines recommend five initial metrics for use by magazines, agencies, and advertisers:
- Total customer paid digital issues,
- Total number of tablet readers per issue,
- Total number of sessions per issue,
- Total time spent per reader per issue, and
- Average number of sessions per reader per issue.